What I've Learned During the Job Search Process

5:31 PM


It's nearing that time...aka graduation (yikes) and it's time to find yourself a job. It's not easy conducting the search, especially when we have homework, classes, current jobs/internships and a billion other things in-between. Just know you're not alone and I understand your struggle.

Here are a few lessons I've learned along this exhausting journey. I hope it either helps you or makes you feel less alone in a time where the world seems so big.

1. It's all about who you know

I didn't realize the importance of networking until I needed a network. There's a reason everyone tells you to do it (like me right now). By building connections, you are building relationships with people that might be able to help you out. Whether that connection gets you an interview or they put in a good word for you, it pushes you ahead of the game. The search is long, but if you can skip a step then it's always helpful.

2.  Just because you're qualified doesn't mean you'll get an interview

I have a friend who worked at Dream Works for a summer and she's still struggling to land interviews. You can have plenty of work experience and a fantastic looking resume, but sometimes it's not enough and there's something bigger the employer is looking for.

3. Having an internship is a great "in"

If you already have an internship, that is one of the best ways to land a job after graduation. Most companies like to hire within their company instead of outsourcing. Almost every person I have talked to has been offered a job from the company they intern for. You don't have to take the position, but it's a great back-up if you can't find something else. 

4. Emailing can be more effective than applying to a job posting

I've applied to over fifty jobs so far and the one's I've landed an interview for were almost all in result of me sending out an email. I've found emails through their LinkedIn profiles, websites, or the school job page and I've had a response from almost every person I have emailed. In times like these, you have to take initiative. 

5. You can't be picky

Jobs are hard to come by, especially when there are thousands of seniors graduating just like you. A few of the jobs you apply for may not be the most ideal position, but in the end what matters is getting experience. Having a job that will teach you transferrable skills is a great option and it's much better than not having a job at all.

6. It's a tough market

This is pretty self explanatory. It's a tough world out there. Stay aggressive, determined, and eager to learn because finding a job won't be an easy task.
 

7. You have to learn to take rejection

In high school and almost all throughout college, I received a job offer from every company I applied to. Since applying for jobs after graduation, I've had to face rejection left and right. It certainly isn't easy, but in the end the places you apply for are trying to find the right fit. I firmly believe in what's meant to be will be and you'll find your place eventually.

8. It's important to take every opportunity

Take every opportunity to job shadow, talk with employers, go on school tours to companies, and take advantage of the opportunities that are placed in front of you. You never know where you can get a business card from or learn about a job opening that no one else has heard about. It's all about networking and getting ahead of the game.

9. Staying positive is really important

Like I've said already, it's not an easy process. It will beat you up and get you down, but it's important to pick yourself back up at the end of the day. Even when the going gets tough, you have to stay aggressive and on top of the search. 
 

10. The world seems much bigger once you start looking for a job

When there are thousands of jobs and thousands of applicants it's easy for the world to double in size. Just don't let that deter you and remember your place exists somewhere, it's just a matter of finding it.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. All of these are so true. I have experienced every single one of thee throughout my job search. I think it is so important to stay positive during the process. It definitely gets tough at times and you feel that you'll never get a job, but if you keep a positive mindset it definitely helps!

    ReplyDelete